Yesterday, we looked at the end of chapter 5 and took our first peek at God’s direct command for us as Christian wives. It’s a topic that the women in our society don’t want to accept or even talk about. We would prefer to keep doing our own thing and choosing the parts of God’s word that we want to obey. I’m guilty. But God’s Word, His WHOLE Word, is truth and is to be obeyed. If we acknowledge the commands and deliberately choose to disregard them,... well, I’ll let you read it for yourself.
Read Jonah 1:1-17 and Romans 1:18-32 - just 2 examples of a LONG list of passages addressing the rejection of God’s instructions.
I’m not saying we’ll be swallowed by a large whale if we don’t submit, but God WILL hold us accountable for our blatant disobedience and will discipline us in love. We wouldn’t let our child wander into a busy street without doing all we could to save and protect them from destruction. And so it is with our Heavenly Father.
Reread Ephesians 5:22-33 considering it as instructions for living a blessed and fruitful life.
1. Who is specifically addressed in verses 25-30?
2. Before we copy this part on a notecard and hang it on our husband’s bathroom mirror, let’s remember who was instructed first in verses 22-33? What do you think is the significance of that? What sort of qualities does it take to go first in his process? Yep. Hard stuff.
3. Describe how a marriage is a picture of Christ and the church.
4. Make a list of the areas in which you struggle to submit to your husband. (Here’s that rubber meetin’ the road again!)
5. Choose just one of them and describe how your marriage might look different if you humbly submitted in this area regardless of your husband’s behavior.
Girls, this is where I shared that I have struggled for years. I’m a strong-willed girl who says what she means and means what she says. BUT failure to honor and respect my husband in the past has yielded some hard days for me and our marriage. Following a wake up call from the Lord, my heart has been completely changed in this area. Some days are easier than others to follow through in obedience (in any area honestly!!), but blessings always follow obedience. We have reaped the rewards of following the instructions from God for our marriage! We still have a long ways to go and will never reach perfection here on earth, but day by day, we take small steps as we’re directed.
So maybe this is a giant step for you! It was for me!!! But better to take that step than to experince a devastating fall or, even worse, a lifetime of missing the best God has for you!