Ever heard the saying “the rubber’s gonna meet the road”? I probably have it a little wrong because I’m that person that goes their whole life saying something the wrong way... but you know the one I’m talking about. It’s about to get real here, girls.
Pray about your study today then read Ephesians 5:22-33.
1. Let’s start by googling the word “submit”.
2. Who are we to submit to as women and why?
3. What exemptions are given here for when we do not have to submit? (Trick question!) Actually, underline the last 2 words of verse 24.
4. Let’s get personal. In what areas is it hard for you to submit to your husband? If you’re not married, in what areas is it hard for you submit to any authority figure placed over you?
5. And even more importantly, WHY is it hard for you to submit?
This is the very root of the sin in our hearts. It’s not a “struggle” we deal with, it’s a sin. No sugar coating it. And I’ve been so guilty of it myself, too. Maybe you can relate to one of these excuses we give for not submitting:
-My choices only affect me.
-I know better.
-I want to do what I want to do.
-He’s not taking leadership.
-He’s not rooted in God.
-He doesn’t deserve my submission.
-I don’t need somebody to tell me what to do.
However we excuse our disobedience, it’s sin. It’s going against God’s command for us. Pride, selfishness, rebellion, foolishness,... these are the sinful roots of the heart that yield sinful thoughts, words and actions. And with sin comes consequences.
The Lord has brought me a LONG way in this area through some hard lessons throughout my life. Bottom line, God gives us these instructions because He loves us, wants good for us and has designed us for His glory. We cannot excuse what we believe to be small sins. We cannot commit part way.
Between now and tomorrow, I’ll be praying for you, and I ask that you pray for me. The battle in our rebellious hearts is fierce. The world does NOT applaud a submissive heart, but our Creator commands it. Girls, the rubber is meetin’ the road!