“Values are life’s great simplifiers.”
This quote started off one of the days of study that our church small group is finishing up virtually. Ah, virtual groups... 🙌🏻 if only we’d bought stock in Zoom a month ago!
This day of the study is worth sharing because we were called to create a list of 5 family values in order to hone in on what our family would be about going forward.
It was supposed to help us scale down to simplicity in the midst of crazy living... 🤷🏼♀️ So now that we’re already scaled down, we get to use them to decide what we allow back in going forward - when we start going forward again.
If there was ever a time to choose what we will set our minds on, it’s now.
Here are our 5:
1. WE GIVE GRACE. To ourselves and others. We aren’t perfect, don’t pretend to be and don’t expect that from each other.
2. WE PRAY. Individually. Together. For each other. For God’s will to be done no matter what.
3. WE CELEBRATE EACH OTHER. We cut the critical sarcasm. We build up with our words. We love and lift up the best parts and give grace for the rest-see #1 again.
4. WE PRACTICE MARGINS. For rest. For serving. For each other. We are more important than our technology and tasks.
5. WE SEEK TO MAKE JESUS KNOWN. Above all else. We choose wisely. We guard our home, our minds, our hearts and turn them to Him. We choose to allow in what points to Him and turn away from what does not. Our time isn’t forever.
Will we pull these off perfectly? Heck-to-the-no!
But do they help simplify life going forward?
There WILL come a day when we go and do freely again. I don’t want to lose what we’ve gained in these moments of stillness. Therefore, we will choose to set our minds on Him rather than on what the world throws at us. We belong to Him.
Father God, thank you for granting us this time to re-evaluate our focus. You never waste any experience! Help us set our hearts and minds on you through it all and going forward. Amen.
*There’s a graphic under “resources” of our family values of you want to adopt them yourself. I also challenge you to give writing your own value writing a try! Make the most of it, friends!
“If then you have been raised with Christ, seek the things that are above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. Set your minds on things that are above, not on things that are on earth. For you have died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God.When Christ who is your life appears, then you also will appear with him in glory.” - Colossians 3:1-4